3.17.2009

There, and back again...

...and uhhh there a second time.
A Missionary's Tale

I left up last when I was about to begin a frantic packing session that lasted the entire night. I always feel a little fulfilled when I get to do that. It lets me know that I've used up every single second of free time. It's almost become a conscious choice to procrastinate. Or at least that's what I tell myself to make me feel better about it. I didn't realize that the blessings from choosing to serve a mission would extend to helping me with my travel habits.

My plane was scheduled to leave at around 9 AM, so we wrapped up the packing by 5:30 and drove to the airport. I distinctly remember saying something along the lines of "It's early enough in the morning that we shouldn't have too much of a problem." I was right, or at least I would have been if I had been using any airline other than Delta.

The airport wasn't very busy, except for the 300 or so people standing in line for the check in that I needed. Apparently there had been some major computer issues. Anyway, to make a long story shorter I arrived at the gate just in time to stand there for twenty minutes as the plane I was supposed to be on got ready to take off without me. Sometimes I think they close the planes when they do just so they can get some sort of sick satisfaction at watching 30 or so angry passengers.

I think most people would have been bitter or upset, but I was in a special circumstance. With surprising speed, my sleep-deprived mind calculated that if I booked on the 5 pm flight I would have the opportunity to invoke an important Rasband family ritual: the Impromptu Holiday.

I ended up getting a ride back home and having an extra day to say goodbye, for which I am very grateful. Unlike any other time I've had to travel, I was fully packed and ready to go. You can see some pictures from the both airport trips and the wonderful day in between.

Oh, and Janet, I totally won that game of Settlers, even though you had no faith.

0 comments:

Post a Comment