3.15.2009

Good things come...

I just realized that it was probably bad luck to make this page, referring to myself again and as Elder Rasband, before I am actually ordained as a missionary. Now President Suhaka will probably have spiritual inspiration that the church doesn't want to let me be an official representative after all. In my defense I actually did consider using my first name and then going through to change it afterward. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure whether I'll be allowed to post on this site after my ordination. I decided that I'd just have to risk the jinx so as to avoid the chance of my Mission President finding out I'd broken the rules just hours after I'd committed to them and excommunicating me so here we go.

Anyway, as an almost-missionary, I have found, one is asked three questions in every conversation they have with another member of the church.

People keep asking me if I'm "nervous." I don't think I am. Do I seem nervous to you?--ignore the above.

They also want to know "are you excited." In some ways, I can't believe that I'm actually going. Mostly, though, I've been being prepared to go on a mission all of my life. The Last couple of years have taught me new things about people, and I truly feel as Alma did when he said. "O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." I know that the Gospel of the Savior is the most profound, most complete act of love to be witnessed on any Earth. I know that if we "have love one to another" we will share the word of salvation with the objects of our love, and that is the work by which we will then be known. I know that there is nothing more important for me to do than to go to Argentina. I have given much for the opportunity, and I would gladly give much more.

In other words yes.

The Last question is always said with a sort of wry, "I've been there too" expression. The question is "Are you ready to leave?" I've spent the last three weeks or so frantically trying to do everything I could think of to get ready to leave. I took my brothers out to see movies, hung out with my Mom, talked a lot with my sister, got completely cooked by the sun in Florida, talked entirely too much on the phone, and once, I even stayed up all night playing video games with my friends. As I close this post, I'd like to say that I am more ready to go on my mission right now than I would be if the church suddenly decided to issue missionary starter-sets complete with visas and a couple volumes on exactly what is meant by the phrase "and a conservative tie." I have done my best to amend my grievances and express my gratitude. I may not have actually opened my new luggage yet, but I know that whatever might have to be express mailed to the MTC, I sure didn't leave any baggage.

Now...I have to go pack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment